So this is the most recent picture I have of Cape Mayhem Gardens. My camera was dropped on my birthday and broke so I am using Kelly’s. I would love for this to be the reason I have been slow to post, but I have just been too busy to make a post…sorry. As you can tell, the tomatoes are not looking so hot. I think they will be ‘done’ soon, but I am waiting to see if any more fruit will come. I am also debating putting in a few tomatoes that I had in pots to try to sneak in some late season tomatoes. The rest of the garden is still doing pretty well though and I have been taking a gardening class at the Solana Center in San Diego. I am getting excited to give my first full time effort to grow cool season crops like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, etc.
I am going to start by showing off the newer parts of the garden that are doing well. To the right are my cucumbers. I have been trying to train them to grow in different directions in order to help airflow and reduce the chance of powdery mildew. They are doing better than the last group of plants, but I still find myself removing a few leaves every time I’m at the garden that have mildew on them. We have had some heat here in San Diego the past few weeks and the cucs have been loving it. Tons of new growth at the ends of the vines and lots of flowers. The corn below is doing well too. I can see where the ears will be and I’m hoping that they are not empty.
To the left is one of my three hot pepper plants. These turn red and I like to try to get a variety of colors for my hot peppers. I have yellow, black and red. The yellow peppers are just coming along and the blacks are still flowering. I also grow these because I noticed that uber hot peppers sell for 50 cents a piece in grocery stores. These plants produce so many peppers that I give quite a few away.
And we’re back to evaluating the tomatoes… This happens every year and I wonder if I can stop it some how? The plants are bear for the most part. You can see tons of fruit and healthy growth on the top of the plants, but the bottom 75% are barren. I harvested quite a bit of fruit on Sat as you will see in the next photo even though the plants look like this. I think the issue is that I didn’t cage the plants in the beginning. You can see how many vines are running up from each plant. I let them get bushy, then trained them to grow tall, and now they can’t supply enough energy/nutrients to keep all the vines healthy.
You can see the green zebra’s, crnkovic yugoslavian’s, and black carbon’s. They are all delicious. I can’t tell you how much better these tomatoes taste than store bought. We make bruschetta, caprese, or another version of bruschetta with goat cheese pretty much everyday now that we have the tomatoes. I put two slices of a black carbon on my sandwich for work today and it was amazing.
Well, I will try to do a better job at posting more frequently. I have one more recipe for tomatoes with goat cheese and some worm updates for you. I will hopefully get a new camera soon too.